Trend Micro, Inc.
Trend Micro™ Security (for Mac) Server
This readme file is current as of the date above. However, all customers are advised to check Trend
Micro's Web site for documentation updates at http://docs.trendmicro.com/en-us/enterprise/trend-micro-security-(for-mac).aspx.
Register online with Trend Micro within 30 days of installation to continue downloading new pattern files and product updates from the Trend Micro Web site. Register during installation, or online at http://olr.trendmicro.com.
Trend Micro always seeks to improve its documentation. Your feedback is always welcome. Please evaluate
this documentation on the following site: www.trendmicro.com/download/documentation/rating.asp.
- About Trend Micro Security (for Mac)
- Key Features and Benefits
- Document Set
- System Requirements
- Post-installation Configuration
- Known Issues
- Release History
- Contact Information
- About Trend Micro
- License Agreement
1. About Trend Micro Security (for Mac)
Trend Micro Security (for Mac) provides the latest endpoint protection against security risks, blended threats, and platform independent Web-based attacks. Trend Micro Security (for Mac) integrates with Worry-Free Business Security, simplifying the management of Macintosh desktops, laptops, and servers though the same Web console that manages Windows-based clients and servers.
1.1. Overview of This Release
This release introduces the following new features and enhancements:
- Worry-Free Business Security - Advanced customers can now install Trend Micro Security (for Mac) as a plug-in on the Worry-Free web console.
- You can now begin an evaluation of Trend Micro Security without first acquiring an Activation Code
1.2. Who Should Install This Release
Install this plug-in if you have
Worry-Free Business Security Advanced and want to use Trend Micro Security as
a plug-in to the Worry-Free web console.
For details, see the Installation section below.
Back to top
2. Key Features and Benefits
Trend Micro Security provides the following features and benefits:
Security Risk Protection
Trend Micro Security protects computers from security risks by scanning files and then performing a specific action on each security risk detected. An overwhelming number of security risks detected over a short period of time signals an outbreak. Trend Micro Security notifies you of any outbreak so you can take immediate action, such as cleaning infected computers and isolating them until they are completely risk-free.
Web reputation technology proactively protects client computers within or outside the corporate network from malicious and potentially dangerous Web sites. Web reputation breaks the infection chain and prevents downloading of malicious code.
A Web-based management console gives administrators transparent access to all clients on the network. The Web console coordinates automatic deployment of security policies, pattern files, and software updates on every client. Administrators can perform remote administration and configure settings for clients or groups.
Back to top
3. Document Set
The document set for the Trend Micro Security
Guide: A PDF document that discusses Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server and client installation, getting started information, and server and client management.
- Help: HTML files compiled in WebHelp format that provide "how to's", usage advice, and field-specific information. The Help is accessible from the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server and client consoles.
- Installation and Configuration Worksheet: A PDF document that provides a checklist of items to guide the administrator in setting up and configuring Trend Micro Security.
file: Contains a list of known issues and basic installation steps. It
may also contain late-breaking product information not found in the online
or printed documentation.
Download the latest versions
of the PDF documents and readme at http://docs.trendmicro.com/en-us/enterprise/trend-micro-security-(for-mac).aspx/.
Back to top
4. System Requirements
Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server
Worry-Free Business Security server
- 1.5 with the latest patch
- 512MB minimum
- 1GB recommended
Available disk space:
- 1.5GB minimum if the Worry-Free Business Security server is installed on the system drive (usually, C: drive)
- If the Worry-Free Business Security server is not installed on the system drive:
- 600MB minimum on the drive where the Worry-Free Business Security server is installed. The Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server will be installed on this drive.
- 900MB minimum on the system drive. Third-party programs used by Trend Micro Security (for Mac)
server (such as Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express;) will be installed on this drive.
- Microsoft™ .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
- Java runtime environment™ (JRE)
- On Windows Server 2008: At least JRE 1.6 Update 14 for Windows X86
- On other operating systems: JRE 1.6 Update 14 for Windows X86 will automatically be installed if not present on the computer or if a different version exists. If a different version exists, the installation package does not uninstall the other JRE version.
- The following third-party programs will be installed automatically:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 Express
- Apache; ActiveMQ 5.3.0
- Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.81 on Windows 2000 computers
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client
- OS X™ Mountain Lion 10.8 or later
- Mac OS™ X Lion 10.7 or later
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later
- Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7 or later
- Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 or later
- Processor: PowerPC™ or Intel™ core processor
- RAM: 256MB minimum
- Available disk space: 30MB minimum
- Java for Mac OS X 10.8
- Java for Mac OS X 10.7
- Java for Mac OS X 10., Update 6
- Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 4
- Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 9
Back to top
Upgrading the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server
If you have installed an earlier build of Trend Micro Security 1.6, upgrade the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server to this build by opening the Plug-in Manager console, and then clicking Download in the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) section. The build number that displays in the console should be 1.6.xxxx.
Upgrade the clients after upgrading the server. For server and client upgrade instructions, refer to Chapter 8 of the Administrator's Guide.
Performing a Fresh Installation of the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server
Refer to Chapter 2 of the Administrator's Guide.
Back to top
For a list of recommended
post-installation tasks, including steps to install the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client, refer to the Administrator's Guide or Help .
Back to top
7. Known Issues
7.1. Server Known Issues
- If you install the Trend Micro Security server in a Windows 2008 series operating environment, you must manually install Java Runtime Environment 1.6 update 14.
- Enabling the server firewall blocks Trend Micro Security server-client communication.
To reopen communication:
On the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) web console, click Administration > Client-Server Communication. The Client-Server Communication screen appears.
In the Server Name and Listening Port section, view the Port Number and make a note of it.
- Add the port number to the server firewall exception list. Communication between Trend Micro Security server and clients is now restored.
- When the server is installed on a Windows Server 2008 computer, the following Windows message displays:
" A program can't display a message on your desktop."
This message can be ignored. The server will be installed successfully.
- A client that has been uninstalled from a Macintosh computer is not automatically unregistered from the server. On the Web console's client tree, the client's status is "offline".
To unregister the client from the server:
- On the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) , click Client Management and select the client that was uninstalled.
- Click Manage Client Tree > Remove Group/Client.
- The server does not automatically remove inactive clients from the client tree.
An inactive client has been continuously offline for an extended period of time and may have already been uninstalled from the Macintosh computer. To remove an inactive client, see the unregistration steps in the previous known issue.
7.2. Client Known Issues
- Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client does not support the ipfw (ipfirewall) command. When a user issues the command on the Macintosh computer to limit bandwidth usage, the computer becomes unresponsive.
- When a user uses proxy settings for Internet connection and then accesses a Web site that does not exist, the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client displays a blocking page stating that the Web site is unrated.
- If users choose the option Set access for specific services and applications in the personal firewall for Mac OS X and then install the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client, users need to allow connections to icorepluginMgr when prompted by the system. icorepluginMgr is used to register the client to the server.
- A Java-based application on Macintosh computers may take longer to launch if the application links to a large number of .jar files. Trend Micro Security needs to scan all the .jar files for security risks before the application can be launched. If users experience this problem, you can consider adding .jar to the scan exclusion list.
- If the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client is installed on Mac OS X Lion 10.7 or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, the Mac user needs to run a software update to install the latest Java runtime environment version. Java runtime environment, a required client component, is no longer pre-installed with Mac OS X Lion 10.7 and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.
- After migrating to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, the operating system removes Java for Mac OS X 10.8, which can prevent users from launching the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client normally. To resolve this issue, re-install Java for Mac OS X 10.8 and then restart the Mac computer.
- The message tmsminstall.mpkg cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer displays during client installation on OS X Mountain Lion 10.8. To avoid this issue, users must open the Security and Privacy configuration page, go to the Allow application downloaded from section, and then choose the Anywhere option.
- The client uninstallation package cannot be upgraded to the latest version after migrating to this build.
- After an administrator reinstalls the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server, all clients lose communication with the server, because the server certificate has been renewed. Users must get a new client installation/uninstallation package, uninstall the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) client, and then reinstall it.
7.3. Resolved Known Issues
Back to top
8. Release History
Visit the Trend Micro Web site to learn more about updates to this product.
Back to top
9. Contact Information
A license to the Trend Micro
software usually includes the right to product updates, pattern file updates,
and basic technical support for one (1) year from the date of purchase
only. After the first year, Maintenance must be renewed on an annual basis
at Trend Micro's then-current Maintenance fees.
You can contact Trend Micro
via fax, phone, and email, or visit us at http://www.trendmicro.com.
Evaluation copies of Trend
Micro products can be downloaded from our Web site.
Global Mailing Address/Telephone
For global contact information
in the Asia/Pacific region, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, Latin America,
and Canada, refer to http://www.trendmicro.com/en/about/overview.htm.
The Trend Micro "About
Us" screen displays. Click the appropriate link in the "Contact
Us" section of the screen.
This information is subject to change without notice.
Back to top
10. About Trend Micro
Trend Micro, Inc. provides
virus protection, anti-spam, and content-filtering security products and
services. Trend Micro allows companies worldwide to stop viruses and other
malicious code from a central point before they can reach the desktop.
Copyright 2009-2012, Trend
Micro Incorporated. All rights reserved. Trend Micro, the t-ball logo
and Worry-Free are trademarks of Trend Micro Incorporated and are registered
in some jurisdictions. All other product or company names may be trademarks
or registered trademarks of their owners.
Back to top
11. License Agreement
Information about your license
agreement with Trend Micro can be viewed at http://us.trendmicro.com/us/about/company/user_license_agreements/.
Third-party licensing information can be viewed from the About page on the Trend Micro Security (for Mac) server’s Web console.
Back to top